5 best books read in 2020

 Hello my lovely readers.


It's really been a while I must say.....but Im glad to be back and glad to be working on my blog again.

This been one crazy year and we learned a lot of new things. One of them - to stay at home and find out that we can do a lot of cool things being at home too. Am I right?

For me, 2020 was one of the best years actually that could be ..... because I got married in summer....and also I reached my reading goal.....and actually read much more than I thought I will. 

So I thought my very first blog post after sooo long should be about the best book I read over 2020 and maybe I will inspire you to read them in this year. 


You all are probably thinking how many books did I actually read in 2020? Well... my goal for this years was 50...and somehow I read 106 books this year....so my husband ( I honestly can't get used to writing this) said that my 2021 reading challenged should be 110 books. Well will see how it will go. 



1. S.J. Watson 'Before I go to sleep'



Goodreads rating - 3.89

My rating  - 5/5 stars

I found this book accidentally in a bookstore, I was just searching some cool books to buy and found this. And I had no idea that there is a movie too. Story is about a woman who wakes up in a morning and absolutely don't remember anything - where she is, with who she is. Then she meets her husband and he starts to tell her everything what has happened to her. 

Im not sure how much I can say to not spoil the story, but it was such a good book and I must say this was first time when I was not right about the ending....possibly that's why I liked it so much. And yes after reading the book I watched movie too and it was also amazing. 


2. Kevin Kwan - Crazy rich asians


Goodreads rating - 3.89

My rating - 4/5 stars

Story is about a young Asian couple, who is finally getting two the part where girl meets boys parents. And his parents be absolutely rich and it all gets the couple in a lot of adventures.

I was learning Chinese in high school for a bit and already then I understood what an unique and interesting culture asians have. It was very refreshing to read about other cultures not only American and British, what books are about usually. 4 stars because somehow I kind of didn't enjoyed all the dramas that was basically happening all the time. ( I'm also being dramatic) 


3. Mark Manson - The subtle art of not giving a fuck



Goodreads rating - 3.94

My rating - 4/5 stars

'For decades we have been told positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. 'Fuck positivity' Mark Manson says. 'Lets be honest, shit is fucked and we have to live with it.'

At first pages I thought nope this is not for me. How its possible to not worry? I can't do it. But the more I read the more I started to like this book. Honestly I never been much of a fan for self help book, but somehow I make myself read them. Some of them actually helps me. Yes, the one missing star is for the fact that somehow I didn't feel like I can live like that and not to worry. I know I can't.


4. Sylvia Plath - The bell jar


Goodreads rating - 4.01

My rating - 4/5 stars

A girl starts to live and work in New York city, but slowly she understood that this life is not for her and slowly starts to get in to depression.

I have always liked these books that leaves you thinking about the main character even if you have finished the book. Yes, its pretty similar to the 'Cather in the rye' but I loved both of these books very much. 

Only, at times it was a bit hard to read with all the walking in time, some moments you just don't understand if its a memory or happening at the very moment. 


5. Matt Haig - Notes on a nervous planet

photo from amazon.com

Goodreads rating- 4.04

My rating - 4/5 stars

I was reading this book and thinking - OMG how can this Matt guy know so much about me and even writes it? All the stressing out about little things...thats just me. Yes this book was chaotic but it think it acceptable for a book with a word ' nervous' in the title. I would say this was the best self-help book I have ever read!!



So this is it guys. Of course I could write more and more about books I enjoyed last year, but you would get bored to read it all. 


Whats your best book in 2020?


All the love

Annie x


Komentāri

  1. Congratulations on getting married in summer! A great post with some great books, I can't wait to add Crazy Rich Asians and Before I go To Sleep to my reading lists! Thank you for sharing!

    AtbildētDzēst
  2. Congratulations on getting married. These sound like some great books. Number 3 has been on my TBR list for a while now. I'm definitely going to check out your other recommendations too. Good luck with reaching your Reading goal for 2021.

    AtbildētDzēst
  3. Congratulations on getting married Annie! I'm just so amaze with your 106 books. That's a lot! I have always been eyeing to read Crazy Rich Asian and The Art but really can't make time because of school. Anyway, nice post!

    beyond beneath

    AtbildētDzēst
  4. Congratulations on getting married! I haven't read any of these books although The Bell Jar has been on my TBR pile for a while. Good luck with your 2021 reading goals :)

    AtbildētDzēst
  5. I have never read Crazy Rich Asians, but I am from Singapore where the novel is set! I watched the movie, and I enjoyed it, but it is NOT representative of majority of Singaporeans. I wouldn't say that you're learning about Asian culture from reading Crazy Rich Asians. It's not all glitz and glamor in reality, though I must admit that it was a fun movie. Thanks for compiling this list! :)

    AtbildētDzēst

Ierakstīt komentāru